Thursday, January 1, 2009

Up and Running...

Welcome to my newly designed site.  It's been cold in Anchorage for the last week or so, and I've spent some of my inside time working on this website.  As you can see I began working on this early this past fall, but lost steam.  So one of my New Year's resolutions is to keep you updated on a regular basis without the hassle of long, infrequent emails.

I'm preparing for US Nationals.  This year (and next) they're being held at Kincaid Park here in Anchorage, just a fifteen minute drive from where I live.  I'm feeling pretty spoiled to be skiing on my home courses and sleeping in my own bed at night.  I can't feel too pampered though, because Alaska is showing everyone how cold it can be up here in the middle of winter!  We're only managing to ski once a day because noon is just about the only time it is sort of warm enough to ski.  Yesterday that was -10F and today it was a balmy -6F!  It has to be warmer than -4F to hold races (according to the International Ski Federation rules), so my fingers are crossed for a warming trend.  

So the 2009 US National Championships begin in just two days.  Here's the schedule:

January 3rd, classic sprint
January 5th, 10km freestyle women, 15km freestyle men
January 7th, 5km classic, 10km classic men
January 8th, freestyle team sprint

*I will be racing on the 5th, 7th, and 8th and will skip the classic sprint to focus on the distance races, which are my strength.

Until then I'm testing skis, getting lots of sleep, and baking bread and cookies to bring to my coaches. 

Tune in soon for updates!


7 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey sweetie pie! I was just thinking of you the other day as I was tromping through the nice white Montana snow! I'm so glad you have a website up and running! I so miss seeing your sunshiney smile!
Lael

akmonki said...

Nice! Im really excited about Nationals in Anchorage. I think that I heard they would take place in Anchorage a while ago, but completely forgot until recently reminded. Good luck with training and warming up the city! ... if only I could send a few degrees your way.
Ciao!

Unknown said...

Love the blog Taz. It's probably good that ESPN doesn't have nordic coverage, otherwise I might have to get a TV. What a sport. You have to train, race, and do your own press.

I get the inside scoop though. Sounds like you're having a great season. Strong, getting stronger, healthy, happy and the really exciting part of the season is just getting underway.

O'Connor

nancy krzymowski boyer said...

Taz,
Had your Aunt Margaret and Mike over for dinner and they hooked us up with your blog site. You are a real inspiration to Kelsey and Hannah. They are in Anchorage training and Kelsey will race today if the temps warm. Burr it is -35 at Birch Hill. Saw your folks at the Besh Cups...they are fantastic people. Have a great set of races.
Nancy Krzymowski Boyer

Unknown said...

Thanks for doing this! We be checking in and wishing your fast, fast skiing. Happy New Year.

Unknown said...

And by the by, pfsep refers to da Porters here in sunny AZ.

Mossy Pinecone said...

Taz--This is a wonderful way to keep updated! Thanks. You know I LOVE your Rosie the Riveter photo! Very cool!

Good luck!
Jen Keenan