Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Race Time!

Today is race day... but it doesn't feel like it.  Normally I get up early, hurry through breakfast, pack my bags full of extra clothes, make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and run out the door. I get to the race venue full of butterflies and waste no time getting out on the course to warm-up. I pick up my bib, select my race skis and test the race wax they've put on.  Then I check back in with my coach and tech, and they make any necessary changes to the wax on my race boards. Meanwhile I hop on my warm-up skis and continue my warm-up.  Everything is very systematic. It's lined out in detail the night before at the team meeting, and it works perfectly nearly every time.

I'll be going through this process today, but it'll all begin when I leave our hotel at 4:30pm rather than the typical 7am or 8am. The first race of the continuation of US Short Distance Nationals/US Distance Nationals is schedule to begin at 6pm tonight, slightly different than normal. It's just fine with me, but makes for a weird day. I skied this morning to wake up my body and shake out my legs, came home and had a snack, took a nap, and ate a late lunch. Meanwhile the temperature at Birch Hill, our race venue, is gradually climbing- good news for my more recently cold-sensitive lungs.  It was 17F at last report. Now I'm in relaxation mode until it's time to fire up the body...

On another note, there's been some good racing to be had lately.  Here are a few random race shots for some inspiration...

On Saturday my hometown of Talkeenta hosted the Oosik Classic Ski Race.  It started and finished on the village airstrip in downtown Talkeetna (as seen above).  My dad worked tirelessly organizing this fun, end-of-the-season event, and it was a huge success.  Unfortunately I always seem to be attending a conflicting race series and haven't been able to do the Oosik in Talkeetna, but racing in my hometown is on my list, so I'll be there for it someday!  (Photo credit: Arthur Mannix)


Two weeks ago I was in Canada racing at their National Championships in Duntroon, Ontario.  I sat out the sprint in preparation for the 30km skate and had some time to take some photos of the rounds.  Above, US teammate Morgan Smyth starts her quarterfinal.  Below, US teammate Laura Valaas and APU teammate Katie Ronsse begin their heat.

Stay tuned for more racing updates from the last race series of the season here in Fairbanks. I'm pumped to race, but also really excited for some fun outside this spring after the season concludes.

No comments: